Is there a secret formula for writing killer IELTS essays that score 8 or 9?
This teacher really believes so. Simon has spent years creating a method called The Melbourne English Advanced IELTS Writing Process that breaks down the Task 2 writing process into eight techniques.
These techniques are meant for expert writers. You might get a good IELTS score—band 6 or even 7–without using most of them. Only attempt to master all of these techniques if you want to sit down and write a 250-word essay on absolutely any topic and end with a perfectly-formed argument that ticks all the examiner’s boxes for bands 8 or 9.
How do expert writers use mind-mapping to organise their ideas? How can contextualising help you to write a great introduction? What is a keynote sentence? In his online course at Udemy, Simon guides you through techniques like these and then shows you how to apply them in different essay types—the discursive essay, the problem-solution essay, and the two-part question—in order to get a band 8 or band 9 score.
I thought I would highlight a few of his techniques here, since many have not yet been covered on this site. For example, he uses his course to explain:
1. Why the body of your essay should always be divided into two paragraphs.
You need to make it very obvious how your argument is structured. Simon talks a lot about why two body paragraphs are the best way to achieve this.
2. How to use keynote sentences to drive up your score.
Keynote sentences relate each paragraph to the question and make your essay structure really transparent. And they’re easy to write once you’ve mastered the basic formula.
3. How expert writers use the looping technique to create a satisfying conclusion.
This technique is guaranteed to leave the examiner feeling like they’ve just read a high-scoring essay. Looping is simple and requires no more than an awareness of the original question.
Essential information about The Melbourne English Advanced IELTS Writing Process:
- Course consists of 38 mini-lectures, total time 1.5 hours.
- Designed for upper intermediate to advanced English learners.
- Log in to Udemy with your Facebook or Google+ account.
- Watch the lectures at your own pace, anytime, on any device.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.