- Which type of people are respected most in your society?
- Do you agree with this situation?
- What happens when young people lack good role models?
- What standards of behaviour should teachers set?
- Do you agree that you should never meet your heroes?
Travel and transport
- How easy is it to travel around your country?
- Which method of travel do you consider safest?
- Has travel become safer in recent years?
- What are the pros and cons of low-cost air travel?
- How do you think people will travel in the future?
- Is higher education too expensive in your country?
- Should all students pay for their university education?
- What advantages do universities bring to society?
- Which is more important, research or teaching?
- How should students spend their summer vacations?
Sports and competition
- Why are some sports fans so passionate?
- Is there any violence at sporting events in your country?
- Should athletes be better role models?
- What benefits do international sporting events bring?
- Is it important for a country to win lots of medals?
Leadership and politics
- Do you think people are born to be leaders?
- Can leadership skills be taught?
- Why are elected politicians often so unpopular?
- What should a leader do to remain popular?
- Do you think unelected heads of state are a good idea?
- Do you agree that we learn best from our mistakes?
- What’s the best way to gain experience in life?
- Can we gain life experience from books and movies?
- Which is more important, experience or potential?
- What experience do you wish you’d gained?
Retirement and old age
- At what age should people retire from work?
- What problems can people face after retirement?
- How important are retirees to your country’s economy?
- When should you start saving for retirement?
- Why do some companies encourage early retirement?
Photography and the image
- Is it easy to take good photographs?
- What are the pros and cons of digital photography?
- Should people share their photographs online?
- When can an image be worth a thousand words?
- Is a photograph a reliable form of identification?
Inventions and copyright
- Which invention has transformed your country most?
- Would you like to be an inventor?
- How long should someone be able to profit from an idea?
- Do you think intellectual property laws are too strict?
- Should all medicines be free to manufacture?
The internet and social media
- Which websites are popular among your generation?
- Is using the internet a social or solitary activity?
- How has the internet changed social behaviour?
- Should companies check job applicants’ online profiles?
- What will be the next big development online?